Sunday, August 7, 2011

What can be done about the exorbitant fines and court costs in Cook County Illinois?

I received a speeding ticket in Oct of 2009. If I would have paid the violation by mail it would have been 75$. Because i felt the ticket was unwarranted I chose to go to court in rolling meadows and plead not guilty. I noticed that most people who were in court that same day payed around 155$ if they pleaded guilty. The judge reduced their fine from 75 to 25 and then added the 135$ court cost to it so 25 + 135 = 155$. Basically they paid double the original fine. Me and the one other person that pleaded not guilty were set aside and then came back to later. I was found guilty by the judge and my fine was totaled at 200$ + 135$ (court costs) = 335$!!!!!! that is almost 5 times the original amount of the ticket. Why??? Because i plead not guilty and chose to use my right to a trial. The only other guy who chose to state his case also walked out with a 335$ total. Unbelievable!!! I have no qualm with paying a fine but 5 times the ticket amount, COME ON!! The constitution gave each of us the right to a trial. but it now looks like we have to pay out the ears for this right. Whom can I notify about this travesty??? Has anybody else felt that the legal system in Illinois is exploiting our rights?? Do I write a state representative or someone more local??? I really think something needs to be done, it seems that they want a nice tidy system where every fine is paid by mail and there will be no disputing anything. Our rights are being undermined by the greed of the system and everyone it employs.

No comments:

Post a Comment